- Translators Without Borders is always on the look out for volunteer translators and editors to undertake work on documents for humanitarian organisations such as Doctors Without Borders, AIDES, Handicap International, FIDH and other NGOs, not-for-profit and humanitarian associations fighting for human rights.
- Idealist.org is a great website connecting people, organizations, and resources to help build a world where all people can live free and dignified lives. You will be able to find many volunteer translation opportunities for on-site/ off-site translation and interpretation opportunities.
- The United Nations Volunteers website is a huge source of volunteering offers – As they say “everyone can make a difference and share their skills, knowledge and ideas from a computer anywhere in the world“. Check here for translation volunteer opportunities.
- VolunteerMatch strengthens communities by making it easier for good people and good causes to connect. Here is a selection of volunteer translator positions.
- And finally check with your local charities, ask around your local community to see if they need some help with translating an official document, completing a grant or fundraising application in another language, sending a newsletter or thank you letter to some international donors.
It may not be the first thing that comes to your mind to occupy your spare time but volunteering is so rewarding that after an experience like this, you will wonder how come you didn’t do it before.
Leave us a comment, share with us your experience or let us know of any other ways of helping people and NGOs with your translations and /or interpreting work.